Funambals is an urban festival of folk dances and music, organized by the association “La Campanule”. We reach an international audience of all ages with at least a third of non-french dancers. In folk, the dancer is the audience. Between 2010 and 2016, the festival sold-out to an audience of more than 600 dancers per day in Lyon and Villeurbanne. Since the 2017 edition, La Campanule has had the privilege of occupying the immense “Espace 140” located in Rillieux-la-Pape. This room can accommodate up to a thousand dancers at once!
Funambals is a bal with live music – groups from all around Europe come to make the audience dance – it’s an entirely participative event, technically and financially autonomous, an experienced organization, an association with 30 years of experience in the organization of balfolk events in Lyon and its surroundings.
Funambals also happens outdoors:
- a walk with dancing musical stops in the urban environment (stairs, hidden squares, inner courtyards, parks, …) ;
- « wild bals » on the city’s squares, open to anyone and everyone ;
- music sessions ;
- a shared picnic with music and dance…
Plenty of workshops are proposed during the 3 days of the festival :
- specific dances from France and other European countries (Italy, Portugal, Sweden, Turkey…) ;
- traditional dances mixed with other practices (tango, contact improvisation…) ;
- traditional singing (breton, occitan…) ;
- music (accordion, ensemble…).
Folk offers dances accessible to anyone : any age and any level, and thus please a vast majority of people. Our association has often been contacted by the city of Lyon to organize bals : 14th july on the « Quais de Saône » , Fête de la Musique, Les Chants de Mars. Since 2017 it’s the Nuits de Fourvière that organizes folk bals.
Join us! Enter the dance!